A set of six late 18th century Directoire beechwood side chairs from the workshop of Pierre Marie Balny (died 1832) in the manner of Henri Jacob (1753-1824.) With wide curved crest rails above a flat pierced lattice backs featuring a shield (a possible later addition) with a central star between ebonized mouldings. The pale blue upholstered cover seat, all raised on square tapering legs terminating in paw feet ‘patte de lion’. The neoclassical form embodies the simple restrained elegance which typifies the Directoire period. The Directoire style became a simplified version of the Louis XVI classicism due to the economic conditions and aesthetic preferences. P.M. Balny was leading a successful workshop of fine seating furniture, often based on the designs by Henri Jacob (1753-1824) combined with his own designs – as it was the current fashion. Acquired from a private collection in Northern France.
See: Pierre Kjellberg, Le Mobilier Français Du XVIIIe Siècle, Paris, 2008, p. 475.
Condition: very good, wear consistent with age and use, shellac polished and newly upholstered – detailed condition report on request